Top Tips for Maintaining Your EFTPOS Machine
There are numerous benefits that a mobile EFTPOS machine brings for your business. They can keep track of day-the-day transactions and provide a seamless payment experience for your customers. But as with so many other technological devices, an EFTPOS machine can sometimes break down, andlosing a terminal during a busy day can be frustrating. That’s why it’s important to keep your mobile and countertop EFTPOS systems working at their best with regular maintenance. If you want to prolong the life of your device and avoid downtime, this is the blog post for you!
Cleaning your EFTPOS terminal
You might think that cleaning your EFTPOS terminals doesn’t have much to do with how they operate, but in fact, keeping the keypad clear of dust and debris can go a long way to preventing downtime. Because they are often high-traffic surfaces, we can easily underestimate how fast dirt and grime can build up on an EFTPOS terminal, and it’s important to keep the clean both for hygiene, and to avoid mechanical jams.
There are a couple of ways you can clean your terminals safely:
• Remove dust off the keys and printer compartment using a micro-fibre cloth or a fine paintbrush.
• Purchase cleaning cards and swipe them in the card swipe and chip reader slots to remove hard-to-reach dust.
• When cleaning the terminal surface, printer lid, and keys, use a soft cloth with a cleaning alcohol solution that’s safe for your terminal model and wipe gently.
• Disinfect regularly using a UV light sanitiser, which can kill 99.9% of bacteria on the surface.
Here are some things to avoid when cleaning:
• Don’t spray liquid or any cleaning agent directly on a card machine.
• Make sure that the cloth you’re using to wipe is damp, and not excessively wet.
• Openings such as card slots or gaps should be protected from moisture as water can seep into the internal machine and permanently damage the device.
The frequency of cleaning your machines will depend on the type of business you’re running. If you’re running a hospitality business, or if your device is exposed to germs daily, aim to clean it as often as possible.
Protecting your EFTPOS terminal from damage
Aside from cleaning your terminals regularly, you can add another layer of protection by following these safety precautions:
• Review the manufacturer’s instructions as damage from cleaning the product may nullify the warranty of the device.
• Detangle cables and keep plugs tidy and dust-free. Poorly managed cables are a common culprit when it comes to terminal issues.
• Place your EFTPOS terminal in a location that’s far from liquids.
• Use a protective key cover if your terminals are exposed to a dusty or wet environment.
• Stray from placing your terminals in direct sunlight to avoid overheating.
• Take care when plugging in and unplugging charging cables. If the machine is plugged, unplug when not in use and switch off the terminal if possible.
• Use the correct power supply provided with your terminal hardware.
• Mobile terminal EFTPOS should only be charged for 3-4 hours.
Troubleshooting your EFTPOS terminal
When you do experience downtime, always remember that there are a few easy things to try yourself before calling in an expert. Here are some common issues you may experience and how you can solve them.
• Terminal displays “Comms Error” and goes offline.
Reboot your terminal by turning it off and then back on. Review the cables to make sure they’re in the correct ports and aren’t loose.
• Terminal printer not working.
Call your trusted POS paper roll suppliers and make sure you’re using the correct sized paper roll. If you have the correct paper, change your paper roll, then reboot terminal.
• Touch screen becomes unresponsive.
Turn the terminal off then back on again. Clean your device and check if the touchscreen will work. If it still doesn’t respond, call your provider to get assistance.
• Card swipe reader fails to read cards.
Card slots can accumulate dirt inside and alter the card reading technology. When this happens, use a cleaning card to clean your card reader.
• Terminal displays “ICC decline”.
Make sure there’s nothing stuck in your chip card reader.
Let us help protect one of your business’ biggest assets!
Cleaning, sanitising, troubleshooting, and maintaining your EFTPOS devices or credit card machines goes a long way toward keeping your business running smoothly every day. At Rocket POS, our expert team can guide you on how to safely look after your device so that your business won’t suffer from downtime. We provide 24/7 customer service, so you can keep making transactions without any hold-ups. For more information or assistance, contact us today!